Tuesday, May 12, 2009

my love affair..

I have had a love affair with words and books since I was four years old. My parents are great storytellers and being from the south, it's almost a prerequisite. My dad read The Hobbit to me growing up. It was my bedtime story! How was I suppose to sleep when Bilbo was adventuring around? I was worried he would starve if he didn't get his 6 meals a day! My parents also told tall tales to scare the jeepers out of me. My Dad once told me to stop playing with my bellybutton because it was the screw that held my legs in place. It worked and to this day do NOT touch my bellybutton. Ack!

I remember trying to follow along with my older brother's books when we were in elemtary school. I was brilliant, or so I thought, and when I began officially learning to read I plowed through the A book, skipped the B book and fell head first into the C book. Who knew that there were so many stories I had not heard? Who knew that the key was being able to read them myself. Instant motivation for a first grader with an imagination the size of Wyoming.

Talking. Check. Reading. Check. Writing. Check. All things I love to do. So here we are. I have a huge list of books I want to read and mountains of things that catch my eye daily. My love affair is an addictive thing. I enjoy writing and need an outlet so what better to do than share some stories and talk about others? I want to write about what I am reading, talk about my favorite books and stories and hopefully have you pitch in and make my reading list even longer.

The best stories are the ones that leave you standing in the window waiting to see who will visit next.

2 comments:

  1. Yet another thing we have in common girly! I tell people that I devour books. One of the things I always give credit to my mom for. Neither she or my dad finished school, so mom always encouraged me to read. I can remember when she bought me the Nancy Drew series. I'd get a new book in the mail each month. Back in the "olden days", there was a program in school where we could order books from a flyer our teacher passed out. Mom would always let me order several books when these came out. Lol, I've often joked that I wished that I could find a job where I could get paid to research by looking things up in books and online. I didn't do the college thing, but I do love to expand my knowledge as much as I can. I'm very open-minded, so my range of reading materials are quite diverse at times. I'm currently delving into all things about the Christian faith. Provides a lot of food for thought. Love your blog gal! Makes me want to keep mine more current! You inspire me girly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I have always been a good resource to eath other where information is concerned. I love that.

    ReplyDelete